Harry Formby, Director of Formbys Lawyers, was appointed a Notary Public in 1989.
As a Notary Public, he can take oaths, sign and witness documents for use within Australia, and importantly a Notary Public can take Affidavits, witness and certify documents as true copies of the originals for official use in most other countries in the world.
A Justice of the Peace (JP) in Australia is not someone who can witness documents for use in foreign countries, only a Notary Public can do this.
When Harry Formby witness’s the swearing of a document or certifies a document he fixes his seal (usually impressed onto a red sticker) and a stamp, onto the document immediately under, adjacent or as near as possible to their signatures.
Harry Formby’s seal and signature is recorded in a data base held by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), an Australian government department authorised to issue Apostille or Authentication Certificates certifying that his signature, seal and stamp are of a duly appointed Notary Public. This certification is usually required if the document is required for use by a foreign government or a foreign government agency.
His appointment, as a Notary Public, is by the Western Australian Supreme Court to whom all Public Notary’s are answerable.
What does a Notary Public actually do?
A Notary Public principally:
- attests documents and certifies their due execution for use by or filing with government agencies in Australia and overseas countries;
- certifies powers of attorney, wills, deeds, contracts and other legal documents, for use in Australia and overseas countries;
- administers oaths for Australian and international documents;
- witnesses signatures to affidavits, statutory declarations, powers of attorney, contracts, and other documents, for use in Australia and overseas countries;
- certifies copies of documents as true copies of the original, for use in Australia and overseas countries;
- exemplifies official documents for use internationally.
If you require a Notary Public or wish to discuss what is entailed in this service, please contact our office.